Senior Backend Engineer
Posted on Tuesday, May 2, 2023
Minimum is a Y Combinator backed start-up, founded to tackle the biggest challenge currently facing humanity: how to get the world to net zero carbon emissions before it's too late.
Our mission is to help companies understand their impact on the environment and collaborate with them to reduce this impact through a hybrid approach of innovative and sophisticated software solutions and world class sustainability expertise.
Minimum is a well-funded, high-growth startup with substantial (presently unannounced) funding from elite Silicon Valley and European investors. We are experiencing rapid traction with customers and prestigious global partners.
Minimum’s hybrid solution of cutting-edge sustainability software supplemented by best-in-class human know-how helps businesses achieve their sustainability goals fast.
We leverage powerful scaling effects of our sophisticated technology to empower our world class in-house experts to focus on impactful, high-value analysis and advice, getting companies up and running with an all-important baseline carbon footprint and reduction strategy in a matter of weeks, not months.
Our software tool is a holistic carbon management platform. It streamlines the data collection process, automates the calculations and displays the output reports. The flexibility of our data collection software allows us to customise the data collection process to specific customer's needs.
Our carbon calculations combine the customer's input data with the most appropriate emission factors, pulling from multiple datasets including leading government data sets, scientific reports and our own proprietary data. Where necessary, we fill gaps in the data with benchmarks and estimates based on the companies we have previously footprinted.
Our dashboards and reports are generated using the outputs of the calculations and are overseen by our sustainability experts.
This opportunity is for a Senior Backend Engineer.
This role reports to the Head of Engineering, but it's likely that you'll frequently interact with the Co-founder who is responsible for the entire Engineering & Product group.
We’re currently a small, close-knit engineering team, and we’re expecting to grow significantly over the coming months and years. As we keep scaling, we continue to make it our top priority to nurture and develop our Engineering culture.
We're looking for smart, driven engineers. If your experience doesn't quite match all of the points below but you feel you have a lot to offer the team, we'd love to hear from you.
The Skillset - Highly desirable
- Previous experience as a professional Backend Engineer.
- Expert in Python.
- Solid grasp of Django, Django REST Framework and Django ORM.
- Experience with building REST APIs.
- Familiarity with ORM libraries.
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application.
- Experience with code reviews and enforcing best practices.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
The Skillset - Nice to have
- DevOps experience, preferably with the AWS stack.
- Experience working with remote teams.
- Previous experience at an early-stage tech startup (especially if it was a B2B SaaS product).
- Bachelor's / Master's Degree in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, or any other scientific / mathematical field.
What will make you successful
- You enjoy thinking on your feet, and take initiative to solve complex challenges.
- You’re excited about the opportunity to shape product decisions at Minimum.
- You’re comfortable with uncertainty of an early-stage business, and find it energising to work in a fast-paced environment.
- You’re motivated by Minimum’s mission to make it as achievable as possible for any organisation to calculate, report on and reduce its carbon footprint.
- You’re excited to create products that combine smart architecture, robust implementation, and delightful results for customers.
- You have experience of owning the design, implementation and rollout of complex product features.
- You are curious and strive to contribute new ideas
- You’re comfortable owning your mistakes, and learning from them.
- You have the organisational and time management skills to work on multiple projects at the same time.
Within one month at Minimum, you'll:
- Understand the Minimum product (past, present, and future) and our vision inside-out.
- Learn all the relevant tools to make you an effective Minimum team member.
- Start contributing to feature development.
Within three months at Minimum, you'll:
- Have a deep understanding of the Minimum system architecture.
- Play a key part in the delivery of important product features.
Within six months at Minimum, you'll:
- Be a fully-integrated, core member of the Engineering team.
- Mentor more junior members of the team.